Adapted from a recipe in ‘The Vegan Table’ by Colleen Patrick Goudreau, these cookies taste like a cup of chai tea, but make your kitchen smell even better.
makes 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup of non-dairy butter, soft
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar, divided ( I didnt have confectioners at the time so I used regular cane sugar + 1-2 tbsp cornstarch and it worked great)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp all-spice (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole wheat (pastry is best) flour
- 1 cup of chopped, toasted almonds
- rock salt (for coating)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. With hand mixer, beat together butter, 1 cup of sugar, vanilla, almond extract and spices. Add flour and mix until blended. Add 1/2 of the chopped almond to dough. Roll into small balls, about the size of a tbsp and coat them in sugar +salt mixture. Then, coat in remaining chopped almonds. Bake for about 10-15 minutes.